Notorious Barlinnie sex offender back behind bars days after release


A notorious sex offender is back behind bars just days after being released from prison.

Gary Travers, 46, was released from Barlinnie after being convicted of performing a sex act in front of a prison guard.

But he was back in the dock at Hamilton Sheriff Court after flouting strict rules surrounding his release.

The serial pervert has a string of sex offense convictions dating back to 1996. His crimes include committing an indecent act outside a woman’s house after he cut the wires to her security lights.

He was jailed for two years in 2017 for breaching the terms of a sex offender prevention order and a clinical psychologist described him as ‘a persistent high-risk sex offender’.

His record also includes a four-year sentence for throwing a cup of urine at a sheriff.

Get all the latest Glasgow news and headlines straight to your inbox twice a day by signing up to our free newsletter.

From breaking news to breaking news on the coronavirus crisis in Scotland, we’ve got you covered.

The morning newsletter arrives before 9 a.m. daily and the evening newsletter, hand-curated by the team, is sent between 4 and 5 p.m., giving you an overview of the most important stories we covered that day.

To register, simply enter your email address in this link here.

Travers was jailed for 26 months following the incident with the prison guard and on the sex offender register for 10 years.

However, he was released almost immediately due to time already served in prison awaiting trial.

But when he failed to comply with a condition requiring him to notify authorities of a change of address, he found himself in the dock this week, where he was sentenced to serve six months in prison additional.

Tax MP Abby Seal said: “The accused was placed on the Sex Offender Register on August 20 last year and required to register a change of address within 72 hours.

“On September 1, police had reason to speak to the accused and it was apparent that he had moved and had not complied with notification requirements to update his address.”

Defending Ian Smart said: “It’s a technical breach. He was released unexpectedly.

“The sentence handed down and the length of his custody resulted in his immediate release from prison.

“The police knew where he was but he hadn’t informed the authorities and that’s where it came from.”

Sheriff Millar said: ‘This shouldn’t affect your release date, but it will be on your record if you violate the notification requirements again.’


Comments are closed.