The Russian Foreign Ministry has sanctioned Ontario Premier Doug Ford and Toronto Mayor John Tory.
In a report published ThursdayRussian officials said Ford, Tory and 59 others involved in “developing, justifying and implementing the Russophobic course of the ruling regime in Canada” are now barred from entering Russia.
British Columbia Premier John Horgan, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe, Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson and Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson are also targeted. penalties.
A full list of those sanctioned can be found here.
In response, a Ford spokesperson said the premier had been clear: “Ontario stands with the people of Ukraine and our support will never waver.”
Tory also released a statement saying he is proud to stand up for democracy and “against tyranny”.
“No sanction will ever lessen my total rejection of an unlawful invasion and the terrible loss of innocent lives it has caused,” the statement read.
“My message to the leadership of Russia who is waging this illegal war remains the same: Stop this aggression and get out of Ukraine. Slava Ukraini!”
Speaking on CP24 on Thursday afternoon, Tory added that the punishment was the equivalent of “show business”, adding that he had no intention of traveling to Russia.
“I don’t have any yachts to seize or businesses in Russia that they can take over, so they did the best they could, I guess, which was to take me and Doug Ford and all a bunch of other Canadians and say we couldn’t visit the country,” the mayor said.
“I don’t know why they would be surprised that I, someone who was elected in a thriving democracy in the city of Toronto, would speak out against tyranny and speak out in favor of democracy and a free Ukraine. “
The mayor added that he was “delighted” that Russian officials were listening to Canadians, but that he would prefer them to act and withdraw from Ukraine.
The sanctions were announced as the Russian invasion of Ukraine enters its 57th day.